Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hospice du Rhone 2009, part 2

Though I heard mutterings about the parochial focus of the seminars from people who weren't going to attend anyway, I was more than happy to see California in the spotlight at HdR this year; it's not as if it's going to happen on a regular basis. I'm a nasty critic, but to my ear only one speaker talked too much on stage, and only one prevaricated for commercial gain. That's nothing compared to what goes on at non-wine industry conferences! I thought Sashi Moorman from Stolpman Vineyards was this year's star, as he shoveled forth information on clone/vineyard trials that point the way to the future of Central Coast Syrah. We can all agree that there is 'too much Syrah' out there (there's too much of every varietal, if you count the Merde!) but Stolpman, which started out with high yields and mediocre wines, has accomplished a stunning transformation.

Band practice

Band practice