Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tempranillo Tantrum

The hillside above the Colossus of Rhones Syrah blocks, on the west side of Paso Robles, is planted to Tempranillo, Tannat, and some other stuff that barely throws a crop.  I make this wine for my client;  when it's released I'll of course let you know about it.  First pic, from the top of the hill looking south.
Head 'trained' and extremely low yield, we'll be lucky to get three barrels this year.  Below, into the hopper:
Very, very ripe, I had to add a score of "Jesus units" to ensure complete fermentation.  Below, the must:
Oh, and this is the rock star I was hanging out with the morning we picked.  He's playing at SPEED LIMIT.
Swilly Idle's rock juice for inspiration, of course.  (Rudy Castellanos, lead guitar, Meth Leppard.)

Band practice

Band practice