Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Drinking and Driving

As someone who has posted a YouTube instructional video showing how to swirl fine wine in crystal stemware while driving a stick shift (see www.youtube.com/stillmanbrown for 15 seconds of fun) I clearly have too blithe of a dude attitude toward drinking and driving. I've had no moving violations in ten years, and have never been asked if I was drinking while in the drivers seat by anyone wearing a badge (a.k.a. sworn personnel) so I clearly have benefitted from a combination of good luck and an inboard autopilot. (It may be genetic, as all my sons have excellent computer game driving skills; though Grand Theft Auto III may be an imperfect tutor.) Monday night, at the culmination of a fairly dangerous afternoon and evening of Chardonnay and vodka, my favorite dive bar's tender and owner followed me out their door, concerned for my condition and their license; to which I replied that if I could locate my car and walk straight there, I would be fine. If I sway and can't walk a straight line, I take a nap in the car . . . taking care not to start driving first.

Band practice

Band practice