Tuesday, December 2, 2008

On winemakers as drinking companions

The photo at the bottom of this page, taken during a party it would seem, is of Swilly Idle (me, after one glass) and "Steely Dan" Tudor, my friend the Pinot Noir producer. After twentysomething years amongst the yeast strains, I know a lot of winemakers, but as I live in a small beach town over the hill from the wineries and vineyards I deal with, I see more of my neighbor Steely Dan (yes, I had to tell him the origin of the band's name) than I do other winemakers. So, I drink quite a bit of his wine, and he of mine; fortunately, our swill is usually rather good. There are two other winemakers that live in town, charming fellows, but if I drank their wine twice a week??? Elvis forbid. My nail polish would be vapor, my liver, carborundum.

Band practice

Band practice